New Animal Hospital

The recent opening of the new Kasetsart University Veterinary Training Hospital in Huahin has been a real blessing for me. I have had my share of bad experiences with the vets around this area. Now I take all the dogs to the new hospital and I cannot be more positive about the place. In my experience the staff has been extraordinarily kind and understanding. All the vets can speak English. They are all young and work with the meticulous professionalism of newly qualified doctors. It gives me confidence and hope. The place is modern and the grounds it stands in are beautiful.
I take in the temple-dogs without giving them a name and they are all registered alphabetically. The last one I took in was a young puppy named ‘G’ together with her sister ‘F’. It causes some hilarity amongst the staff and it makes them more aware of each dog.
Not all my little patients have survived, unfortunately. But I feel that everything possible was done for these sick dogs. I certainly did not have that feeling at every other veterinary clinic. One horrific example was when I saw a little puppy with a broken leg being bathed before the leg was set or even seen to. When I took the little dog home, I noticed the bone sticking out through the skin. She did not survive.

But at the new hospital I have seen some very interesting practices which were new to me. I took in one dog, named ‘C’ (which became Cookie) with a huge infected hole full of maggots where her eye had been. When they took me to see her first, I found her lifeless and filthy, lying on the dirty earth behind the temple wall. She smelt dreadful and was covered with parasites. After examining her, she was diagnosed with severe blood parasites. Her other eye had a small growth on the cornea, so she could not see. Basically she was a mess. But the vet cleaned her up, treated her against the blood parasites and what amazed me was that they dressed the gaping hole which also exposed some bone, with plain kitchen sugar. Honey was an alternative. He never used an antibiotic cream and the wound healed beautifully. He also used a herbal cream to promote the faster growth of tissue to close the wound. For the remaining eye they gave some drops to reduce the tumour and later some other drops against dry eye. These drops are made on the hospital premises like many of their medicines. The effect has been fantastic. She has gone back home to the dreadful conditions where she came from but where she is very much loved. And that is always better than living in the temple where no-one cares. Cookie is now cured from blood parasites, she can see reasonably well and has put on a lot of weight.
Another example is the little black puppy called ‘B’, who was taken in with a very swollen tummy and she showed the same clinical signs as I have seen in other dogs, who were all treated the same way by different vets. They had fluid sucked from their tummy through a needle, which is very painful and were then put on antibiotics and diuretics. Not ‘B’. I was simply told to feed her more protein, like eggwhites and to give her the usual antibiotic against blood-parasites. She also had some liquid protein booster. No pain involved and her tummy has now been greatly reduced. She is still not 100%, but she eats well, runs around and looks almost back to normal.

The general verdict by all vets is that every temple-dog has blood parasites. If I could treat each dog with doxy, I would. But it is physically impossible to treat so many dogs. Often it is diagnosed too late and especially the puppies have no resistance. I had another case called ‘E’, a beautiful fluffy black puppy. He was cared for by a young couple in the temple and so I discovered too late that he was so ill. The vets tried everything but he suffered from two strains of blood parasites and showed clinical signs of possible distemper and parvo. He gave up in the hospital. I had seen him a few hours earlier. The vet informed me by phone. Again I have had the opposite treatment from other vets, who did not bother to inform me, but I had to actually find out when I went to see them, still hopefull that the dogs were improving.
‘D’ is another dog who was left alone at the temple together with his sister, after their mother was taken to a hospital in Ratchaburi, which specializes in VG. She will be cured but it can take months. The two young pups were in a very poor condition, absolutely covered with mange, fleas and ticks. They were thin and so young. The sister was in a worse state and disappeared. She is feared dead. But ‘D’, who was later named Vanilla because he is so white, was caught with the help of a Thai woman who was as quick as lightning. He was not easy and when he had to come out of the car, the vet himself came to get him. It was a real fight and the vet won. He was perspiring at the end of it, but all through this ordeal he kept talking to the dog and used gentle words to calm him down. I admire him so much. Vanilla is now recovering, getting stronger and hopefully ready for a wonderful reunion with his Mum, when she comes back. I keep my fingers crossed for him. I feed him every day, but still cannot touch the rascal.
I hope to use the new hospital for many years to come and will put other stories on my website which may be of interest. The manager of the hospital is one of the professors and he has helped me by reducing the fees in certain cases. I really rave about them.