22-Jun-14   Neutering by the Tessaban
This was a success once more. The Pranburi livestock department vets came to my house and we had 12 dogs neutered, Joy from Wat Na Huay, Lupa and 8 young dogs from Wat Wang Pong plus 2 fringe dogs. This time we found the actual wounds of some of them got a bit infected, so we put them all on atibiotics and anti-inflammatories. The people in Wat Wang Pong have been totally uncooperative and have deliberately locked the gates to the compound where most of the dogs live, so Fran, Mandy and I had to lift 6 semi-conscious dogs over the fence, as they still had not fully woken up from the anaesthetic. An absolute disgrace and we are going to approach the authorities about this as it is not the first time they have worked against us. Again something to do after I get back from Brazil. I simply will not give in and we will win this battle.
In the meantime our big thanks for helping to sponsor these neuterings go to Mandy & Brian, Silvana, Sue & Ron, John & Jenjeera and Khun Khemika from the Tessaban. Wonderful support and Lupa has the honour of thanking you all on behalf of the temple-dogs. Do not be fooled by her sad eyes, she is one cheeky, healthy lady.
Photo 1-sisters after their operation. Photo 2-Lupa

 22-Jun-14   Wat Na Huay :   Still no end to it, the poisonings, the neuterings and the puppies.
I slowly find out which dogs have been poisoned and probably now know who did it. But I have no proof. I am determined to approach this person. I have heard that we lost Pebbles this way, possibly Sister-2 and our little white girl I was preparing for her neutering operation. The saddest case of all is this little puppy, who must have been with her mother Pebbles, who had only recently been neutered, only to die in such a dreadful way. Perhaps the puppy got some chemical in her eyes as she is now blinded. She was absolutely fine and healthy before. I shall take her to see a specialist when I am back from Brazil. Poor baby.
Since we could not catch the black and white girl and lost the white one, we only took Joy for neutering. She is recovering well.
The young mother with the three pups is doing fine. I have seen her babies but she has hidden them in a drain and we can only wait for them to come out when they are old enough. Mama is doing well and becoming more friendly, so I can take her for neutering in a few months.
Photo 1-Poor blinded puppy. Photo 2-Showing how at a young age they can already help to save them.

 10-Jun-14   Wat Na Huay :   Sickening poisoning still going on.
These latest poisonings are totally insane. Bibbie and Joy are two of the sweetest young dogs you could find anywhere in the whole world. They are still so young. Bibbie was neutered only a short time ago and still had her stitches in. Joy is only 5 to 6 months old and due to be neutered next week when we have a clinic at my home again with the Pranburi Tessaban vets. Not long ago she was gravely ill with a badly infected neck-wound. And now this. Who would do such a cruel thing. The nuns, the monks and the workers in the temple all care for the dogs and they helped to save them by giving them raw eggs and cooking oil to get the poison out of their stomachs. With Joy they were lucky and found her in time. With Bibbie they were almost too late and it was a pure coincidence that I happened to be there at that time. I took her to the vet immediately. She was in a bad way. He injected her with an antidote 3 or 4 times, put her on a drip and then we waited. After half an hour her terrible spasms stopped, her breathing improved, her eyes rolled back down and the colour of her tongue turned pink again. She stayed overnight in the hospital and I took her back to the temple this afternoon. She did eat but sicked it all up again. I left her in the care of the workers, weak but I am sure she felt better in her familiar place. I hope she will improve by tomorrow. Little Joy seemed almost back to normal.
What can we do against poisoning. The most common reason for poisoning is the killing of chickens by the dogs. It is almost unbelievable that here a chicken is considered more important than a dog. This is a culture difference and I will not go into that. Another reason is of course to stop them from barking when thieves come in. This happened to Wiggy, who was the greatest guard dog ever and became our mascot after he was killed in this beastly manner, while bravely trying to protect the temple. A third reason, I am told, is fear of the dogs. Easier to kill them than having them bark and maybe bite you instead of avoiding them maybe. If one can prove who did the poisoning, it is actually considered a crime in this country. I have every intention of asking around who knows who did this. Somebody must hate these cowards as much as I do and talk. We were lucky that Joy and Bibbie survived, unlike the others we lost this way. But who knows for how long.
Photo1-Joy. Photo 2-Bibbie

 01-Jun-14   Wat Wang Pong :   Not fair again! Sunshine killed by a car inside the temple grounds.
It really makes me so angry when I ask a monk where a particular dog is who lives inside their quarters and he just smiles and says that she was hit by a car. Right there in front of the home of the headmonk. This is exactly what happened to Sunshine. It really is not fair. She had been there for several years after I put her there to be safe from the roads. She had been hit by a car outside the temple and I was called to help. I took her to the hospital and she slowly recovered from a broken leg and other injuries. She had basically been left to die. She was totally harmless and kept to herself. We knew exactly where to find her and so did the monks. How is it possible that right in front of them, a car could kill her. They even suggested that she was ill anyway, so what did it matter. It makes me want to hit somebody. Exactly the same thing happened to Dennis, who was so much liked by everyone. He was a big dog and not easily missed. It takes a brain to drive a car safely in an enclosed area where dogs live and sleep. Why are these drivers allowed to drive without a brain. Or do they do it deliberately. I can only be grateful that Sunshine had at least some years of peace inside the wat, but to be killed by a car in the place where she was so safe and where she went after she had been so badly injured by a car in the first place, is to me a sick joke of fate. Sleep well, dear Sunshine. You were our friend!
Photo-1 Sunshine after her op years ago. Photo-2 Sunshine recovered.

 01-Jun-14   Ivermectin-time! - And a surprise.
With the help of Silvana we once again treated all the dogs at Wat Na Huay with Ivermectin. Always a challenge with that rowdy bunch. Never a quiet moment with dogs like Monster and Bully. But we did it, in one day, 39 dogs with only a few left to treat.
At Wat Wang Pong it always takes more than a day as there are many more dogs, almost 100. Claudia helped to inject the dogs from the enclosure and Fran did the bulk of the other dogs on her own as usual. We finished off the rest together, with only a couple left to treat. Over 90 dogs are free again of parasites for a month or so.
I had a phonecall from Khun Moy, our Thai lady dogloving supporter, with a special request. She had been caring for a female dog who had given birth to 6 puppies near her home. The puppies are now about 2 months old, she claims, and already running around onto the road, with the result that one has been killed by a car. But the mother would not let us touch her. Where to put them was another problem as Wat Wang Pong is full and more dogs are absolutely unwelcome. Negotiations with Mehchee from Wat Woody, who agreed to take them as long as she would get food and medicine for free. Khun Moy agreed. Catching Mum was tricky. Claudia came to blowdart her. That was easy but even after two shots she would not go down. We decided to try again the next day. This time she was caught. I took her straight to the vet for neutering and the 5 remaining healthy puppies went ahead to Wat Woody, where Mum would join them the next day. What a shock surprise when the vet phoned me to say that he had operated and had stitched her up again without neutering her, because she was pregnant. I did not believe him at first and told him the pups were still drinking from her. He would not abort the puppies, if there are any, because of his religion. I agreed with him that we will wait for at least 2 weeks to know for sure. What he thinks could be puppies, may perhaps be tumours, as she also has VG. Poor dog went to Wat Woody where she is now recovering from her unnecessary operation and back with her pups. Wait for the update in a few weeks time. I have called her Miracle. Khun Moy, again, contributed towards the expensive medicine for blowdarting and towards food and meds. Of course it is Miracle who thanks her on behalf of the temple-dogs for her kindness.
Photo-1 Miracle. Photo-2 Khun Moy with another rescue-dog from the road outside Wat Wang Pong, whom we helped to have neutered.

 24-May-14   News flashes.
Tiny still up for adoption. She has now fully recovered and is ready to go. Has become incredibly friendly and playful.
With the help of Claudia we injected and treated 36 dogs against parasites in Wat Wang Pong. Fran treated another 23 dogs and I did 5 dogs outside on the corner. We are getting 5 more females strong and ready for neutering by the tessaban on monday 16th June, by giving them a 2-week course of doxy, as we have never had a dog from the temple with a clear bloodtest result yet. A couple of tiny puppies with very white gums also on doxy, all puppies on vitamins and all those who will take it, big or small, on brewers yeast tablets. I see it working on their skin.
Fed all dogs at Wat Na Huay with Silvana, no noticeable problems. Trying to make friends with 3 young dogs, who are ready to be neutered as well on 16th June. Difficult to catch.
Photo-1 Tiny in superb health. Photo-2 Doglovers at Wat Wang Pong, the market-lady and her son who passed away. He was handicapped, loved the dogs and cats, never stopped caring for them.

 19-May-14   Wat Na Huay :   Bye bye Kitchen-Dam.
I am determined to try and not write sad things about him. I miss him as I have known him from the very beginning, when I first started visiting Wat Na Huay, over 9 years ago. He was adopted by the sweet little old nun who was in charge of the kitchen, hence his name. They lived in a little house on stilts at the back of the compound. It was a happy home, where dogs loved to visit and so did Luukdee who was still a little girl living at the temple. The kitchen-nun took good care of him. I can still hear her chasing him out of there when she was cooking. I still see her sitting with him, stroking him. Eventually she left as her health was getting worse and her back gave her endless problems. She left Kitchen-Dam behind, but he was so at home in the temple-grounds that he was fine. Everyone knew him and liked him. He did not like all the other dogs though and he was often involved in fierce fights. When he grew older, he moved to the front of the compound where the Head-nun took care of him. In the end he had breathing problems and lost his strength. That was when he got badly bitten in a fight and the wound in his leg became very infected and by the time I noticed it, it was full of maggots. He was so weak and we thought we had lost him. The Head-nun even allowed him to sleep under her bed until his end would come. But with antibiotics and special powders and magic creams we cured him and soon after he was happily hopping around again. He ate well and seemed fine. But then his respiratory problem must have got worse and one day the Head-nun told me that he was found dead, outside, near his beloved garden. Of course I wish I had been able to help him, but at the same time I accept that he went naturally in his familiar place and did not have to suffer endless visits to the hospital. He was a temple-dog, he lived the life of a temple-dog and he died like a temple-dog. He was a good friend and whenever I visited he came running to me and jumped up to greet me. In the old days, when he was young, he used to embarrass me by trying to make love to my leg, which the Thais thought was hilarious. I just hope his end was peaceful and quick. Bye bye Kitchen-Dam. His companions were the likes of Bully, Bathroom-Girl and Sprite, all the oldies, many of whom are still with us. Wat Na Huay people take care of their dogs, even when they grow old!
Photo-1 Kitchen-Dam. Photo-2 Mehyai, the Head-nun who took care of him until the end.

 14-May-14   Many things happened sofar in May.
Scamp was adopted by a Thai family. Fran arranged it all. This little guy was found under a market-table. Always cheerful and nosy, he was all over the place and liked by everyone. A careless driver then broke his tiny little leg and he was in great pain. He suffered an operation and the frustration of cage-rest, but never lost his spirit. We wish him a great future and ask him to give joy to his family in return. Knowing him, he will. Thanks to Fran for caring for Scamp.
We had a great event over two days in honour of the streetdogs in Huahin. It was organized by Hot Huahin Co. Ltd. with the help of many others. We were invited to try and raise some contributions by offering home-made dog-treats and other dog-related items. We brought 4 puppies along in the hope they would get adopted. Sadly no adoptions, but we definitely raised some support-funds and made some great new contacts in the dog-loving world. Temple-dogs thank all who were involved.
Three more girls sterilised successfully by Kasetsart. Gina and Saffron from Wat Wang Pong and Bibbie from Wat Na Huay are now back where they live normally. We had to put them on doxy for 2 weeks before they were accepted and now they are done. All three are thriving.
A very generous contribution from a Thai lady, who has donated several times before and is also a huge dog-lover.
Then Fran and I had a dreadful experience rescuing a cat. In her fright, being tormented by one of our enclosure dogs, she must have jumped into a large Thai water-jar full of water. I have no idea how long she had been in the water, while the dog Fred was still ranting and raving around the jar. It must have been hours. I could not grab her as she was in a complete terror-stricken panic, while trying to keep her head above water. Nothing to grab hold of and I watched her slipping back under the water at least half a dozen times. It was just awful to see. We put in branches for her to get hold of but she had lost her strength. Then our angel Khun Nu came to the rescue and just grabbed her without fear and flung her onto the ground. She got away but the dogs chased her. We left her to try and catch her breath, sitting under a car. When we drove off, she was gone. But the biggest surprise came when Fran rang me to say that, when she got home, her dogs started barking at the car. They opened the bonnet and there was the cat, hidden on a ledge behind the engine and apparently unharmed. She escaped and has now, hopefully, found herself shelter and no doubt food in the beautiful quiet residential compound where Fran lives. I am still shaking, thinking about her looking up at me from under the water.
Photo-1 Scamp with his new owner. Photo-2 A happy picture of Pebbles and Spot, lying peacefully together, back to back, after being neutered.

 30-Apr-14   End of April updates
Good good good! We had another generous contribution from my friend Ied in Holland. She has been supporting the temple-dogs for years and the one to thank her on behalf of all of us is Tiny, who, despite having suffered so much, is now healthy again and not even 6 months old. I am taking her to a dog-event in Huahin, where we will hopefully find her a new owner, as she can never go back to the temple where she almost died.
Then we have had yet another big neutering event by the local municipality, who organized a two-day sterilization program with vets from all parts of this province, which was a big success. They neutered over 200 dogs and cats from Pranburi in two days. We took 8 females from 3 different temples, our last adult females apart from one at Wat Na Huay, who will not be caught. The only one from there we did take was Pebbles, who recently had puppies. We had fun catching Pearl from Wat Wang Pong. She had to be blowdarted and chased all over the compound by the tessaban people and myself. In the end she collapsed on the cool marble steps of one of the temple buildings and was caught in a net. We took Truffles from the market and two fringe-dogs from outside the wall as well. Lyn helped to catch the three sisters on the hill where we left them some 5 months ago. All the neutered dogs have recovered beautifully and are back where they came from.
Fran and I took 3 more dogs for a bloodtest to Kasetsart Hospital where they are booked in for a free sterilization, providing they are healthy. All three have blood parasites and are now on a course of doxy before surgery. Let this be a serious warning to everyone that almost every temple-dog suffers from this potentially dangerous disease which kills many dogs, if not treated. The problem is that it is often noticed too late, because the symptoms are difficult to spot in the early stages. We hope to have saved at least these three, Bibbie from Wat Na Huay and Saffron and Gina from Wang Pong. Will tell you when it is all over.
Photo-1 Lyn with Spot, one of her temple-puppies on the hill. Photo-2 The amazing little fighter Tiny.

 21-Apr-14   Wat Wang Pong :   Read this! Good news for a change.
All is well for the time being. At Wat Wang Pong, after we finished treating most of the dogs with their monthly Ivermectin, we finally found some peace and quiet when visiting the dogs. Mandy and Brian are volunteering again and inside the enclosure we have our friend Khun Nu, who helps to look after the dogs, when he is sober. And he had better, as he brought in another beautiful, but skinny Mum with a litter. She is upsetting the whole bunch, but sofar no serious fights, so maybe they are getting used to each other. We are handing out Brewers Yeast tablets wherever we can, which help against fleas amongst other things. These were donated by Maureen and Anne from Chiengmai. With their contribution we also saved a pregnant female from the Tanarat Military Base and her four new puppies. I received an emergency call from Khun Lampai as the dog was having problems giving birth. She had to have a caesarian. Four healthy puppies were the result.
Tiny has completely recovered from pneumonia, blood parasites, malnutrition, flea and tick infestations and starvation. She is still at my home, hoping for somebody to come and get her. She is probably 4 to 5 months old. She has had all her shots, was treated against parasites, dewormed, etc. Being the runt of the litter, she is indeed tiny, but has an enormous fighting spirit, hence her survival. She is gentle and wise, playful and friendly. She eats like a horse.
Little Scamp, who had the broken leg, is now suffering cage-rest after having an operation to pin his leg, still with Fran and they are beginning to love each other too much. Again we appeal for someone to come forward and adopt this gorgeous little puppy. Apparently he is a ball of energy and full of fun.
The final good news is that, out of the blue, I met up again with Christine and her lovely family from Hongkong, which was great and we talked and talked and talked. Christine was over-generous once more, and we cannot thank her and her friends Kesang and Sharon who both contributed, enough. The honour of thanking everybody goes to the two patients, who are recovering so well.
Photo-1 Scamp. Photo-2 Tiny feeling better.

 17-Apr-14   Wat Wang Pong :   A letter to MARY, who left us.
Dear Mary, we miss you. We cannot hear you sing anymore, every time we come to meet your friends. But your Mum does still sing without you. It must be so very lonely for her. You were always together and she looked after you so well. Many times you needed her, because you did have a delicate health. How lucky you were to have a loving and caring Mum. How many times did you have to go back on doxy again. The first time you were so ill, I found you under a stone bench, unable to even stand or get up. The times your gums turned as white as your fur. The times when you started bleeding from the mouth and nose. Always diagnosed as the dreaded blood parasites, which stayed dormant inside you. This time you did not even come to us for help anymore. Maybe you could not. I am so glad that someone I trust, found you and buried you in the grounds where you lived your whole life. When you were well you were so happy and I remember you playing with your Mum. I also remember you being the centre of the pack with Mini-Moo, Casey, Zorro, Coco, Tictoc, sometimes others and always your Mum. How beautiful you could look, when you were clean. How you trusted us, how you guarded the food-bucket for us. How you could have some dreadful fights with Flo, Ginger or others, but how you were a perfect temple-dog. You knew how to live and love, how to be careful and play, how to get on with humans and animals. When you were injured or ill, you still wagged your tail for us. What a lovely girl you were. What an empty space you leave behind. Like Grace and all the others. I imagine you elsewhere, waiting for everyone you left behind. Do not worry, Mary, we will look after your Mum. She deserves it.
Photo-1 Mary guarding the food, as always. Photo-2 Marymum, the wonderful Mum of Mary. She is still with us.

 15-Apr-14   Wat Wang Pong :   Two little patients
Scamp does not even look like a typical Thai temple-dog, but he is. He was found in the market, left with his Mum and his brothers and sisters. Being a healthy, inquisitive, adventurous little boy, it was inevitable that something would happen to him. And it did. He was hit by a car on market-day and it broke his little leg. Now he is with Fran, until his leg has mended. But then what? Back to the temple! Poor little boy. At least he is safe for now, being cared for by Fran & Peter and their visiting family Helen and little Sophie.
Tiny is another story. She was dumped with her Mum and all her brothers and sisters. Tiny was the runt of the litter. They now live in the enclosure. Not all of them survived, but Tiny fought and overcame almost everything, fleas, ticks, malnutrition, terrible diarrhoea, bad bite-wounds and is now trying to survive a respiratory infection. It causes her dreadful breathing problems and I had to bring her back to my home to watch over her, creating serious problems amongst my own dogs again. My 14 year-old, who is virtually blind, does not even dare to walk past Tiny. What will happen to Tiny if and when she recovers? Back to the temple! She is such a delicate little girl. Please help to find a home for Scamp and Tiny.
Photo-1 Sophie and Scamp. Photo-2 Tiny

 12-Apr-14   Wat Na Huay :   News from Wat Na Huay
Silvana and Sophie from Switzerland and France, came to help and treat 36 dogs with Ivermectin, against parasites and mange. It was a terribly hot day, so we were shattered afterwards, but very satisfied. Sadly it was also the day we found out about the poisonings.
Two dogs have bad injuries and are on medication. Moon has almost recovered from a bad bite-wound and Kitchendam is fighting to recover from a badly infected leg-wound. He is old and time will tell if he will recover, as he is not strong anymore.
I found Sister-I back, still hiding and alone, looking very very skinny and, I suspect, suffering from blood parasites. I am trying to boost her immune system and fatten her up, but also she is now almost 10 years old and will have to fight for survival. She is the sister of Pete who is still with Claudia and doing very well, even if his backlegs are almost useless. Their other sister is still with the pack and looking very lively.
One of two very shy pups has now grown up and is in season. She was seen for two days running, surrounded by some males and I am trying to find her again with the help of Claudia, who will then hopefully blow-dart her. Wish us luck!
A very generous contribution from Claudia, another one from Daniela and Ralph, who happened to be visiting the temple, a lovely visit and help from Maureen and Anne, who were here last year, all the way from Chiengmai were the happy events lately. Thanking you all for your kindness is the puppy in Photo-2 on behalf of all the dogs.
Photo-1 Sophie and Silvana with the dogs. Photo-2 A Wat Na Huay pup.

 12-Apr-14   Challenging times.
The bad news does not stop. I hate to have to tell this, but at both temples we have now lost too many dogs again due to poisoning. I do not know who to contact about this and what I can achieve by doing that, apart from spreading awareness.
In Wat Na Huay we lost 4 very healthy young dogs, including Tilly and Moonchild-I, who had just been neutered. The other two were puppies who were not adopted on that day in Huahin when we tried a puppy-adoption day. Crafty is also missing but could be with a gang of males chasing a female in season.
At Wat Wang Pong the news is no better. Confirmed 4 poisonings of our fringe-dogs, who live just outside the wall, including Bronwyn and Palomino. We spent ages turning Bronwyn into a healthy beautiful dog. Palomino, such a proud boy. Please do not ask WHY. There is no excuse. Again it needs confronting these cruel people, but we do not even know who they are,because they are hiding and doing it secretly, which means they are fully aware of the fact that it is wrong and a sin to poison a dog. It is not accepted in this society, but the authorities do not prosecute offenders.
So many of our Wang Pong dogs have not been seen for a while, Carla, Queen, Champagne, Snowdrop. I can only try and be positive and hope they have found a better place, like some of them did, for example Smile and Special, who found a new territory where they feel safe. I know that Dogmai and Chedi-mum have not been seen for a long time either, but they were getting on and had a good and healthy life, although tough, but all the others are still so young. At least the females were neutered. I can obviously not assume that every missing dog has been poisoned, but I cannot stop thinking that they might have been. Fortunes will change and turn around, even for temple-dogs. I wait patiently.
Photo-1 A boy-monk with a temple-puppy. Photo-2 Bronwyn

 31-Mar-14   Thongdee
Please read her story, but it is sad.

 31-Mar-14   The end of an expensive month.
Yes, March has been tough, many visits to the vets and the hospital. We lost several dogs through old age and disease. Donations have dried up somewhat. Nevertheless, on the whole, peace and calm seem to have returned to both temples. But this could also be due to the hot season when everyone becomes lethargic, including the dogs. May it last. Still new puppies are being dumped and the cycle starts again. It keeps us busy and believe it or not.......happy.
pictures of more puppies waiting for adoption

 31-Mar-14   Puppies growing up.
That is the problem, the bigger they grow, the smaller the chance of getting them adopted. So many healthy temple-puppies are destined to stay where they are, in the temple. We look after them, help to feed, vaccinate, treat them against parasites, neuter and even love them. But how they crave a home of their own, a master to obey, a sense of belonging to somebody. In many cases we succeeded, but in many more we failed. It was fun giving them all a bath and playing with them. It was fun spoiling them with extra titbits, but it was not nice to leave them behind again in the enclosure. I invite you all to come and see our dogs at both temples, even if it was just for a visit to give them a break from their routine, so they can meet more friendly people. Please do not forget our temple-dogs.
pictures of two of the lovely temple-puppies

 28-Mar-14   Wat Wang Pong :   GRACE
Grace is not there anymore. She has gone. She left us and the time was right. No more pain. The end did not matter. Her life did. She had so many friends. I remember when I first saw her years ago, rough, tough, strong and ready to accept her fate. One day she had puppies and they were truly gorgeous. She was a fantastic mum and brought them into this world like a real Thai stray, in a deep hole in the ground in the undergrowth near the wall inside the temple-grounds, but in the market area. That is where she lived most of her life until the end, in the market. She loved her little babies but sadly, so did the Thai people and they were all adopted far too soon. It left her frantically looking for them for days and days and it was a very bad time for Grace. But life is tough and she did get over it in time. People were kind to her and she was always well fed. She was neutered, although I was tempted to let her have another litter. But by then she was happy again with her friends around her, bullying all when it came to food, pretending to be grumpy to the little ones and frequently teaching another dog a lesson if they did something wrong. She had plenty of scars to show from her many encounters. What more can I say about a dog who lived her life so proudly and definitely made the most of it. No point in telling about her illness and her death. We remember only the good things about her, how funny she looked when they put make-up on her because they loved her and she let them, how I gave her a final bowl of milk on maybe her last day, under the market table where she was allowed to sleep even during market day. Everyone knew her and no-one expected her to leave us. I thought she would live forever, that is how much part she was of temple-life, a permanent symbol. Fran gave her a chance and took her to Kasetsart for tests, but knew she would not recover. What a lovely dog you were, Grace. It was great knowing you. We miss you!
Last pictures of Grace

 20-Mar-14   Wat Wang Pong :   Whitesocks gone far too soon, four neuterings and no adoptions.
I have to tell you, even if it means nothing to you, that we lost our lovely Whitesocks after a short illness. An empty space is left in that dirty market where she lived quite happily with all her friends, particularly her sister Blaze. The dogs and those who knew her will miss her. I am sorry, Fran.
We took many of our enclosure puppies to Huahin in an effort to get them adopted. Maybe it was the wrong time of day, maybe the wrong place, but it just did not happen. Thanks for trying, Pisa and thank you to all of you who came to give us moral support. Let us try again another day. Thank you too, Pisa and Max, for your fantastic continued help.
Martha, Chloe, Snowdrop and Jessie were the last four to be neutered. It is all done now and they are back at Wat Wang Pong and have recovered fully. The vets of the Pranburi Livestock department did an excellent job, like before and we hope they will neuter the little ones when they grow up. Claudia also brought 4 dogs of Wat Huay Saleng Pan and they are fine as well.
Photo 1-Neutered by the tessaban. Photo-2 Our friends waiting for the girls to come home.

 20-Mar-14   Wat Na Huay :   Our final neuterings and a sad goodbye, but hope for Pete.
Yes, he passed away, our little old friend Monkyboy. He did have a very good life and was truly cared for by everyone who loved dogs in the temple. I knew him well. May his spirit stay in and around Wat Na Huay, where he lived a happy life.
Moonchild 1, Moonchild 2 and Moonchild 3, all three children of Moon, were neutered, together with Tilly, only remaining daughter of Big Black Mama and sister to Q, Harley and Kaffe, her three brothers who were adopted. Now we wait for the little ones to grow up and then it is their turn.
Pete is still with Claudia. He was misdiagnosed and actually has a neurological disorder which causes the problem with his backlegs. The specialist is hopeful that he will walk properly again. In the meantime he is on medication and Claudia brings him to Wat Na Huay to visit his old friends. After all, he was born there and lived there for almost 10 years. Thank you, Claudia.
Photo 1-Moon with 2 of her children. Photo 2-Pete with Claudia

 09-Mar-14   Wat Wang Pong :   News from Wat Wang Pong
In contrast with Wat Na Huay I am afraid I cannot give you any good news from Wat Wang Pong. Khun Kemika from the Tessaban negotiated with Wat Wang Pong and I have been allowed to go into the enclosures again to visit the dogs and help care for them. I can say no more at this stage. Khun Pia from Huahin offered to come again but I believe that in time the situation will improve, so see no need to stir things up further. I thank the people who are on my side and I sympathize with all those who have suffered because of what is happening there. I can only hope that the atmosphere at Wat Wang Pong will soon be restored to the happy and stable one from before.
Fran had done a brilliant job treating virtually every dog with Ivermectin while she could still get to them. Thank you for that. She has now got the worry of White-socks being ill, possibly with blood parasites. We are still waiting for the bloodtest results. White-socks and sister Blaze are very close to her heart. Luckily they live in the market area and not in the enclosure.
Then I have to report the sad death of our old friend Leberwurst. I could not even say goodbye to him, as it has become so difficult now to do the rounds in Wat Wang Pong, firstly because of the new restrictions imposed and secondly because of the large number of dogs. One of the workers who has since lost her job, told me how he had just slept in one day and she assured me that Leberwurst had not been injured or ill, just old. I like to believe her. Goodbye gorgeous spirit of a character dog. I will find your picture soon.
The one bright spark in this report is that a Thai friend of mine agreed to adopt a puppy, when I asked him out of the blue if he did not want a dog. So we went straight to Wat Wang Pong and he chose the little black puppy from the enclosure, who was so dear to us all. He has a lovely character, he is sleek and shiny and has a ridgeback. I wish him a healthy life. His new boss is the manager of our pestcontrol company so he should be flea and tick-free for life.
Picture-1 Jake, our friend. Picture-2 A beautiful temple

 09-Mar-14   Wat Na Huay :   News from Wat Na Huay
It seems ages since I wrote on my website. So much has happened lately. Apart from Pete, who is still with Claudia, I have had a little puppy called Joy at my house, recovering from a very nasty bite wound. She had to be caught with a net by the head-nun as she is so frightened. The vet took out 33 maggots from the wound in her neck on the first day. During the next two visits many more came out, luckily dead ones. It was very painful, but she was brave. She is back at the temple again, delighted to be with her friends like before, but sadly one of her siblings was killed by a careless driver. Joy still will not give up my dogbox, which she has now adopted as her own. She lived in it while she was at my house. Maybe one day she will outgrow it and then I can have it back.
Then we have Monkeyboy who has sadly been diagnosed with cancer. He is at least 9 years old, a small fluffy tough little guy, always loved and cared for by the monks and the workers at the temple. He has tumours all over his body and they keep bursting open. As long as he eats and is not obviously in pain, we will continue to give him painkillers and medicine, knowing he is in his home surroundings amongst people who really care for him.
Tongdee is also still with me and will probably stay for a long time, as her recovery from the infection of the brain is agonizingly slow. I really care for her and enjoy trying to do exercises with Tongdee, but she still cannot get up. Further visits to the neurologist to come.
Poor Billy was slashed across the nose again and has a deep gash. We put him on antibiotics once more and he is better now. He is always injured!
The big event at Wat Na Huay was the 80th birthday of the Head-Monk. He is a great person and it showed when you saw the crowds and over 150 monks from all different temples who came to celebrate. It was a very happy atmosphere and the decorations were fantastic. Free food and drinks for everyone all day long. May he live for many more years to come.
Photo-1 Puppy Joy, Photo-2 Celebrations at the temple

 01-Mar-14   Tongdee & Pete, our costly serious cases
You would never be able to say that these two dogs on the photographs are very seriously ill, would you? Tongdee on photo-1 looks as if she is having a rest and Pete on photo-2 is lying comfortably on the grass. But the truth is that Tongdee has a viral infection of the brain, which she caught while her puppies were still drinking her milk, during which time her immune system was low. She is not even a year old. She is at my house on a huge range of pills and meds, trying to fight this illness. We made many visits to Kasetsart hospital with special visits to the neuro-surgeon. She is improving but still no sign of her getting up. She eats and drinks from a bowl now and her spasms are much less frequent and much less strong. Her muscles are not as stiff as before and she is aware of her surroundings. The specialist is very positive about her progress but it is a long and slow recovery.
Pete has a tumor in the lower spine which has almost paralyzed his backlegs. He can get up but his lower back flops from one side to the other without control. He cannot control his urine and his bowels. Again the specialist says that he will recover in time, but it will also take months of care and administering meds. Claudia has taken on this enormous task and is now looking after him at her house. If he does not show any improvement at all, there may be the possibility that it is malignant. Then we will have to think again. Pete was one of the first puppies I found, born under a bush at Wat Na Huay, where his mother was dumped some 9 years ago, so I must give him a chance.
These two patients have already cost us a lot of money and will continue to have expensive treatments for weeks, if not months to come.
If you can help financially, please contact me by email josette@temple-dogs.com or phone me at 081 384 3701. I thank you in advance.

 25-Feb-14   Wat Wang Pong :   Great news from Wat Wang Pong for a change.
Two little brothers were adopted in one week by two great young families.
First Luckyboy was chosen by Sonny, the eldest son of this happy family on photo-1 and he will be moving to Paknampran where they live. I showed them 14 puppies, but Sonny did not hesitate and picked Luckyboy straight away.
Then just a few days later I showed the remaining 13 puppies to the young couple on photo-2 and they wanted the little brother. I was delighted about that, as I worried about him being bullied, being the smallest of the litter. Small or not, they gave him the grand name Winston. Ryan and his lovely lady run WECI Language & Computer Institute in Huahin. Check it out, www.wecitefl.com. Winston will be sharing their love and attention with a cute young pug. You can see her in the car window.
How wonderful I feel when adoptions actually happen! Even if I hate to say goodbye to my little friends!

 13-Feb-14   Wat Wang Pong :   Worrying times at Wat Wang Pong
Threats from some quarters in the temple-management to have all the dogs removed and transferred to the Huahin Dog Shelter have caused much concern. We do not know what will happen yet, except that the Huahin Dog Shelter is full. The reasons are better not discussed. Some people just do not like dogs and are afraid of them. Sofar nothing has happened and our healthy friends are still oblivious of the dark cloud that hangs over us.
We have also had strange unexplained deaths amongst the puppies, three deaths in one pen and two in the large enclosure, but where have the missing ones gone? No luck with the adoption shelter, only one was reserved. The others will all be taken back by the temple. Claudia once again helped to vaccinate 14 puppies.
We still have our devoted friends like Elle who once again supported us. It must be the duty of our many puppies to thank her for her continued care.
Photo-1 Some of the healthy puppies. Photo-2 Claudia cuddling one of our babies.

 02-Feb-14   Catching Up.
First of all I want to thank Fran, who single-handedly treated almost every dog at Wat Wang Pong with Ivermectin over the Christmas and New Year period. A huge job and I do not know how she did it.
Then I want to thank Silvana for helping me to do the same at Wat Na Huay, a much easier job, especially when there are two of you.
Thirdly I must say thanks to Claudia for vaccinating 16 puppies in the enclosure at Wat Wang Pong. She then took altogether 10 puppies to Huahin, 7 of which went to the adoption shelter of Dr. Nueng and three are to be relocated into her temple in Huahin, Wat Petchravudh.
A big thank you to Kathrin, Lilian and Rolf & Sophie for giving us three generous donations. They are friends of Silvana and Helmi and I hope you will visit one day, so you can meet our temple-dogs. Part of your contributions have already been spent on stocking up with medicines, Doxy (to treat blood parasites), Ivermectin to help prevent parasites, Endex tablets, antibiotics, flea&tick spray, etc. It is such a relief to get financial support. The important task of thanking you for your generosity on behalf of the dogs, goes to our free-spirited, beautiful, white Spark who lives in the temple grounds with her Mum and sister.
Photo-1 Spark, Photo-2 Two of our new puppies, hoping to survive after being dumped during the cold weather.

 02-Feb-14   Wat Na Huay :   Harley Davidson, the dog, that is me!
Not many people can say that they have two Harleys. But Silvana and Helmi can. One is their bike Harley, but I am their dog Harley. I came from the temple Wat Na Huay in Pranburi - Thailand, where I was growing up with my brothers and sisters and our Big Mama. Life was tough and we did not all survive. But two of my brothers and I were adopted and went to 3 different loving homes. I often think it is because of our physical defects. My two brothers each have walking difficulties (especially Q)and I have a lazy eye. Despite these flaws we were the chosen ones. We leave behind our Big Mama and our little sister, so that they still have each other. I go and visit them regularly and love to play with them again. But my new life is so amazing, I cannot ever go back. I am now a Swiss temple-dog from Thailand. I am even going on holiday to Switzerland later this year. All I ask from those who read my story, is that you will always be kind to the temple-dogs and that they will all be happy like me, no matter how their lives develop. I shall never forget my family. Thank you, Silvana & Helmi for taking me home.
Photo-1 Me on the beach with my Swiss collar. Photo-2 Me after my daily swim.

 25-Jan-14   Wat Wang Pong :   Prison Break!
This little puppy left her co-prisoners behind. At least that is what it looks like. She found herself a better place. At least that is what it looks like. But looks are deceptive. She is just an injured puppy, who crawled under a fence inside an enclosure in Wat Wang Pong, where she lived with over 15 other puppies and many more adult dogs. 7 Puppies were selected to be transferred to an adoption shelter in Huahin. Her luck was that she was injured and would go for treatment to the kind vet who runs this shelter. But she is still waiting. Waiting for someone to choose her and give her that dream home. Who will this be???
Photo 1-The Great Escape Photo 2-This is where I would like to belong!

 18-Jan-14   Wat Na Huay :   A whirlwind visit, double adoption and donation.
Now maybe somebody can help me and tell me how to contact these amazing people again. Karina (and I may even have got the name wrong) and Birger from Sweden, came to Wat Na Huay, really thanks to the picture of Q in the Huahin Today. But Q was already adopted. I told them about the remaining brother of Q, who looks identical to him and even has a limp as well, although not as bad as Q. Then I showed them the puppies dumped with the nuns and told them about the little boy who was badly bitten in the face by an older dog. I am not really sure what happened next. They picked up both the pups lovingly, told me they would take them, gave me a large bag of food and a very generous donation and then they were gone. It all happened so quickly that I barely had time to take it all in, let alone ask them for their contact details or what names they were going to give to the two dogs. I may not have their names right, I cannot trace their phone number and I won't know what they have called the two dogs. If you know who they are, please let me know. (just ring 081 384 3701). The last news I heard about Q and Harley, the brothers of the black boy, was great. Harley is going on holiday to Switzerland - can you imagine his stories when he comes back to visit his Mum and sister at the temple next time (sadly his other sister went missing) - and Q is loved by Sairung, his Thai mistress. This is a very unusual beautiful story in the temple-dogs world and we will treasure it, especially during bad times. What a wonderful thing you have done, Karina & Birger. Thank you and I so hope to see you again.
Photo-1 Karina with the little black boy. Photo-2 Karina & Birger with the little lucky puppy and Dindin saying goodbye in the middle.

 14-Jan-14   Donations
So many dog loving, generous and not only kind, but interested people. I am overwhelmed. We thank you all for your fantastic contributions, your gifts, your help and your continued care and support. From the beginning of December until now we have received donations from the Casa Mia team, Lyn, Khun Jack, Silvana & Helmi, an amazing one from Christine and friends in Hongkong, Kimberley & Urs, Tony & Helen, Anita and our new friends Karina & Birger, who also adopted not one, but two puppies from Wat Na Huay (more about that later).
The task of thanking you all is so huge that we give it not to one but to all of our newly dumped puppies. It goes without saying that I speak for Fran, Mandy & Brian as well. Photo-1 two of the latest additions to our very large family. Photo-2 the tiniest volunteer, my granddaughter Sophie, working hard at her job while on holiday.

 13-Jan-14   Who am I?
The first person to guess and send me the name of this dog will win a free puppy for life of your own choice! We have about 40 to choose from. Good luck!
photo 1-the mystery dog. photo 2-a puppy you could win.

 11-Jan-14   Wat Wang Pong :   The inevitable and sad goodbyes.
Jade and Silk, after Silver and Greenspot, not to mention Dao and Kiew who are both missing. What happened to you, Silk. What was really wrong with you, Jade. Did you die like Silver, with no clear symptoms of your illness. Were you attacked in the night, little Silk, without anyone coming to your rescue. It is a very heavy burden for me to carry, not to have saved you. I cannot get over it and will never stop crying for the loss of one of my beloved temple-dog friends. Silk was not even three years old, Jade was always so healthy and fit. At least Greenspot had lived to an old age. What can I say. I shall miss you and I shall think of you. You meant something to us, me and Fran.
photo-1 Silk as a puppy. Photo-2 Jade with Claudia who loved her too.

 02-Jan-14   HAPPY 2014
Although I have so much to tell you, I must ask you to be patient a little longer as I have absolutely no time to write due to family commitments. Rest assured that you will hear it all during the rest of the year. Many happy stories, a few sad ones, a lot of good news and a bit of bad news.
I start the year with the great fairy-tale of Q. If you followed his story you will remember how he was left to die, a little temple puppy with multiple injuries and a badly fractured leg, lying in his own filth, howling in agony. Look at him now!
Photo-1 Q on alert. Photo-2 Q out for walkies on the beach with his mistress.